rpms/tinyerp/FC-3 tinyerp.spec,1.7,1.8

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 14 16:40:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 17:00 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> rc040203 at freenet.de (Ralf Corsepius) writes:

> > 3. Why fedora-useradd?

Did somebody analyze if tinyerp needs fedora-usrmgt at all?

Most well designed server (!) software doesn't need fixed uid's nor any
network-wide shared uids.

> > * Use literal account name instead of numerical ones and  a plain
> >   user-add probably will be sufficient.
> > * IMO, fedora-usermgt is a design wart that should not be used anywhere.
>
> ??? I create all my service users in this way and I am not aware of a a
> better way to create service-users with the same UID on every host.
Read what you wrote: "... ALL MY ... USERS ..."

It only works because you are using fedora-usrmgt everywhere, comprising
non-fedora machines in your network.

It won't work:
- If you don't have control over ALL machines (E.g. because a work-group
in your network doesn't grant you admin-rights on a subset of machines).
- If you don't use fedora-usrmgt on ALL machines (E.g. because it can't
be installed there, for some reasons ever).
- if another similar tool is installed on machines in your network (say
a "suse-usrmgt" or "sun-usrmgt" on SuSE or Suns in your network.)

All in all, fedora-usgmgt only works out of the box in homogenious
Fedora networks, or in networks which have been customized to meet
fedora-usrmgt's demands.

I.e. fedora-usrmgt's has an infective nature - To me, this is a
fundamental design flaw, which questions it as a whole.

Ralf