major libgda and libgnomedb upgrade notice

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Dec 20 22:31:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:18:37 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > You can: Ship compat packages.
> >
> > and then orphan them a week later?
>
> No, such packages would have to stay until ETA of a distribution,
> because a package maintainer has no possibility to know what others are
> doing with it.
>
> Think about it: It's same rationale why RH can't upgrade GNOME, KDE, GCC
> or glibc during a distribution's life-time.

Trying to wade through several hundreds of messages, I've failed to
find a message which tells whether this topic has reached agreement.

Publishing _reusable components_, which arbitrary users of Fedora Extras
may decide to depend on, and then taking away these components later adds
_fragility_. Both from a user and developer perspective.

It is enough of a burden that this happens in Core, in upstream projects,
and in 3rd party repositories occasionally, and that such breakage forces
rebuilds and/or upgrades, which in turn break even more things.