owners owners.list,1.459,1.460

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Dec 25 06:13:20 UTC 2005

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 24.12.2005, 20:10 +0100 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
>> Huh? What did you do there? Please explain all these changes to
>> owners.list.  It looks to me like damage which must be repaired.
>
> That was repaired soon after the wrong commit afaics:
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/owners/owners.list?root=extras&r1=1.460&r2=1.461

I realized that I made a mistake after approving luya too early.  After
he was sponsored, I was alarmed when it was necessary to teach him to
use command line ssh which he had never used before in order to
understand cvs+ssh.  It seems that he tries hard but lacks a basic
understanding of many of the basic tools.  The package(s) he got
approved was largely the result of hand holding without personal
understanding.  And now this owners.list accident born from the lack of
understanding of basic tools... I'm guessing text editor line wrapping?

As I made the mistake of sponsoring too soon, it is my responsibility to
further luya's education, but realistically I don't feel good about this
as a precedent.  It is unrealistic to hand-hold everyone who wants to
try hard but lacks background knowledge.  We cannot scale as a project
if we have to constantly "give fish" to people, as they are too far from
the skills necessary to learn to "catch fish" for themselves.

Perhaps luya is already well on his way to learning the necessary
skills, wont repeat this mistake, and will be a productive contributor
into the future.  OTOH I want to avoid this kind of mistake in the future.

This mail was mostly me thinking to myself out loud.  Will think about
solutions later...

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com