snort ?

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Feb 3 00:42:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:15:57 -0600, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:

> I'm not sure I completely understand.  Do the new RPM's just need to be
> uploaded somewhere then?  Just let me know what needs to be done, or if
> there is a procedure somewhere send me URL and I'll take care of it.

Not sure how else to explain it, since you should be in the know as you
submitted the fedora.us update, which didn't make it.

1.) Snort once was in fedora.us for Red Hat Linux.

2.) An update request stalled in QA because it was a huge and complete
rewrite which had many issues, and when built, it didn't result in binary
packages which would upgrade the existing fedora.us packages. Interest in
fixing it and getting an update published didn't seem to exist.

While the old update tried to cover SuSE Linux and other distributions
with lots of conditional spec sections, that newest one fiddles with
macros to switch between Fedora and Caos. Lots of other conditionals
increase the spec file's size to 2.4 times the size of Dag Wieers'
spec. And it should at least build with defaults and not require lots of
manual --with/without switches.

I'm not aware of any new package submission policies for Fedora Extras
yet. These will likely come in the future.

I don't know whether we apply any first-come first-served rule when
somebody submits a package. ;)

It has been suggested that maybe Dag Wieers, who also maintains Snort
packages, might want to maintain them in Fedora Extras, too.

If multiple people are interested in creating and maintaining Snort
packages in Fedora Extras, it would be great if they discussed and
finished a candidate source rpm. Starting there, it could be imported into
CVS and built for testing.