FE package kernel module guidelines and openafs

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 16:29:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 11:11 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

>The IBM Public License is specifically included here.  I believe that any
>license under which we *encourage community development under our own
>patents* can certainly be included in Fedora Extras.

For the kernel? I suppose however if Linus himself doesn't mind, we
shouldn't.

However, the kernel is very very much GPL. And the OSI is GPL
incompatible. Common sense dictates you can't build code that links to
kernel bits without being GPL compatible, but we know this isn't the
case (else there would be no binary only modules out there).

I know this is a holy war waiting to happen, so I'm going to amend the
list of "acceptable kernel module licenses" to GNU General Public
License v2.0, GNU Lesser General Public License v2, IBM Public License
v1.0, Common Public License v0.5, Q Public License v1.0, Open Software
License v1.1, and any open source license granted by Red Hat.

If your conscience is ok with using one of those licenses in a kernel
module, then its ok by me.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!