Preliminary request for review: VDR

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jul 1 09:31:38 UTC 2005

Note: it is not yet clear if this package passes the Extras legal
requirements, examination already requested elsewhere.  But I'm
submitting a preliminary request for review here nevertheless because
there is a biggish demand for packaged versions of VDR, and it is not
impossible that reviewing this could take a while anyway.

http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

VDR implements a complete digital set-top-box and video recorder.
It can work with signals received from satellites (DVB-S) as well as
cable (DVB-C) and terrestrial (DVB-T) signals.  At least one DVB card
is required to run VDR.

Reviewer notes:

First, this is not for the faint hearted.  Successfully and sanely
packaging this currently requires a pretty intimate knowledge of the
software and experience in running it in "production".  I'm up to the
task; been watching TV at home exclusively through this beast since last
October, and the package is now in a state where I'm fairly convinced
that there's no need for incompatible packaging related changes in the
foreseeable future.

Starting to use this requires use of the dvb-apps package I submitted
for review yesterday; the DVB channel configuration needs to be manually
bootstrapped using the scandvb utility.  Also, a properly set up "full
featured" DVB card, ie. one containing a hardware MPEG decoder, is
required to fully use this without any plugins [1].

As said, works for me, on i386.  ppc(32) is excluded for now due to
{get,put}_unaligned() not being available in its <asm/unaligned.h>; I
believe this is a "bug" in VDR, not glibc-kernheaders (feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong).  See comments in the specfile for more info.
x86_64 untested.  And this is for FC4 and later only.

Comments welcome, also in private mail; no "formal" review needed just
yet.

http://cachalot.mine.nu/4/SRPMS/vdr-1.3.27-0.8.src.rpm

[1] If VDR gets a legal "nay" here, I'll submit this later to
    rpm.livna.org.  Wherever it'll end up, I'll be submitting several
    plugins to appropriate repositories after the main package is "in",
    including some plugins that allow using this in a wider variety of
    setups in addition to the OOTB supported full featured DVB
    cards.  The plugins are already on my site above.