ddrescue and dd_rescue

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Fri Jul 1 10:53:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Warren Togami wrote:

> > decide whether both ddrescue (GNU) and dd_rescue (the current one AFAIK)
> > should be shipped, or only one of them.
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-June/msg00782.html
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-June/msg00915.html
> Argh... my analysis above was based on only what I thought was
> overzealous adherence to guidelines used as justification for renaming a
> package.  I had no idea there were TWO projects.
Argh is about right. ;)
The problem was: we were shipping dd_rescue (the binary name) but the
package was called ddrescue, to confuse matters.
And this renaming could not be explained by adherence to some packaging
naming scheme.
It's a bit strange.

> I no longer care at all about this package.  I don't have time to
> analyze this.  I would suggest taking Steven Pritchard's analysis and
> looking at both upstream projects.  Which seems better supported?  Then
> choose one, then make sure appropriate Obsoletes and Provides are in
> place if the package name changes.
Yeah.

I'll just testdrive both packages and we'll see which one is better.
This one will be packaged.
Luckily I do have a broken disk lying around to test it...

bye,
 andreas