Request for review: perl-Number-Compare

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 1 13:57:31 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:56:35 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>

>>Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>>Regardless of where I put %check inside the spec? I can move the %files
>>>section at the top of the spec. Could I do the same with %check or
>>>%clean? ;)
>>
>>Try rearranging them and see.

>>>That was not the questions.

>>>How old?
>>
>>rpm 4.0.something I think. Well before the dawn of Fedora. So for a spec
>>file tailored for Extras, none of this matters. However, it's perfectly
>>possible to write spec files that will build just fine on really old Red
>>Hat Linuxes, and still meet Extras packaging guidelines. Obviously most
>>people won't want to bother with that, and that's OK, but if they're not
>>bothered about backwards compatibility, there's no need for the "|| :"
>>after %check - and that's all my original comment was about in the review.
>

> No, actually (as can be seen in the quote at the very top of this mail)
> you suggested reordering %install and %check. Here:
>

>>- I'd put %check after %install rather than after %clean, so that builds
>>on rpm versions not supporting %check could still work.
>

> I've never before payed attention to this. Hence my interest in
> the rationale for such a recommendation. And I'm still confused. Does
> it matter where to put the %check section in a spec?
>
> [I'm aware of "%check || :" from fedora.us times and multi-dist src.rpms,
> that are supposed to build on RHL 7.3, too, e.g.]

Let's try again:

If you want backwards compatbility, you need to use "%check || :" and
the %check section must go after %install because on old distros, %check
is not recognised as being the start of a new script. The result is that
everything in %check gets run as part of the %install script on those
systems.

If you don't want backwards compatbility, you can put %check and
%install and %clean in any order you like and you don't need the "|| :"
on the %check line.

Paul.