Trademarks

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 18:04:22 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Why? I think we all ought to be able to handle UTF-8 now.

I'm pretty sure that there are some locales that still don't use UTF-8
by default.  Even if that's not the case, there's certainly nothing
preventing people from using other encodings.  Folks that work with a
lot of data in older encodings may well do this.

Until the day comes that there's a hard Unicode-only policy, it seems to
me that the benefits of sticking to ASCII-only in package summaries and
descriptions outweighs the benefits.  (Alternatively, RPM could be
enhanced to store everything in UTF-8 and convert to other encodings.)

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net