Icons and menus

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jul 6 08:19:45 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote :

> Yesterday I got a bug report on the bittorrent-gui package, the issue
> being that no icon appeared in the user's menu for the application. I
> was unable to reproduce the error; removing the package removed the item
> from my menu and reinstalling it put it back immediately. However,
> remembering a similar issue someone mentioned on fedora-list a while
> back, I suggested that the reporter try restarting gnome. The menu item
> then appeared for him. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I do
> have a postinstall script that does:
>
> /usr/bin/update-desktop-database /usr/share/applications &>/dev/null
> || :

I've also seen similar behavior very often, including today after
installing Abiword and Gnumeric from Extras, but I did get the icons for
Lbreakout2 and PPRacer that I had installed just minutes before... and I
simply can't figure either what the scripts in packages are supposed to do
for that not to happen since the above seems to not be sufficient. I also
tried explicit calls to gtk-update-icon-cache as many packages do, but it
didn't fix the problem for the current session either.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3
Load : 0.16 0.25 0.24