nvu

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 20:21:03 UTC 2005

On 07/07/2005 03:49 PM, Matthias Saou wrote:

>Christopher Aillon wrote :
>

>>>Is anyone interested in packaging nvu?
>>>

>>https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-July/msg00012.html
>>

>Christopher, using your firefox mozconfig and bits and pieces of the spec
>file (ah, the wonderful "tar everything up, then untar it all!" ;-)), I've
>made a quick working first package of Nvu.
>
>The only major blocker I saw was that without --disable-crypto, the build
>failed on FC4 i386, on a .h file which is identical to the one in the
>1.0.4 firefox tree, go figure.

Interesting -- got a build log?  Crypto is probably something we'd want
to support here for pushing to some things such as krb5 realms, etc.
(not sure if that's even an option in today's nvu, but still...)

>I'm behind a 128kbps upload link, so I'll be putting the source and binary
>packages up only tomorrow. In the meantime there are the spec, mozconfig
>and desktop files there.
>
>http://ftp.us.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/testing/4/nvu/
>
>I'm sure there is room for plenty of improvements (overall integration,
>including some plugins, making sure the mozconfig is optimal etc.), so let
>the suggestions begin! Once the package has been tested some more, I'll
>request formal reviews ;-)

Some quick comments:

.desktop file:

Name and GenericName should be nouns, not verbs.

I'd suggest:

Name=Nvu Web Authoring Tool
GenericName=Web Authoring Tool

(note that the GenericName does not include the app name, e.g. the Firefox desktop file et.al)

The Comment sounds odd to me, but offhand, can't think of anything better to put there.

.spec:

Do we have all the pango patches we need to --enable-pango?  Not sure whether those made it into nvu's branch or not, but we should add them if not.  Especially so for rawhide, since the removal of xft caused text to not render properly in firefox without the latest patch in the rawhide RPM (firefox-1.0-pango-cairo.patch).

You'll probably also need some of the patches requried to compile firefox on rawhide (the gcc4 patches, prdtoa patches, etc).

I'll do a more formal review when you're ready.