Request for review: keychain

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jul 12 16:18:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 00:11 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 20:54 -0700, Chip Turner wrote:
> > It would be nicer to have some sort of opt-in, perhaps in the form of
> > ~/.keychainrc, which, if present, causes it to be source'd and then,
> > if set, use an environment variable KEYS to list the keys the user
> > wants, otherwise default to id_dsa.  This way a user just specifies
> > their keys that feed the command line (and perhaps other command line
> > options such as timeout).
>
> +1 -- the above opt-in [...]

Yep, keychain startup should definitely should be an opt-_in_, and not
enabled by default.  I have had problems with it effectively preventing
use of WinSCP and/or Konqueror's fish:// protocol in the past (can't
remember which, or if both), and the gdm interaction issue I mentioned
is another message is another annoying "feature".  The latter could be a
local config issue, though.