http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Eric R. Meyers ermeyers at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 14 15:57:15 UTC 2005

Gentlemen, and those "other"

I've read through the thread of messages, and I've studied Repoview, and I've
got somewhat of a handle on comps.xml.  Also, I've learned a little about
yum.

One of the first things that Seth Vidal said to me was "focus groups based
around what people want to do."  And that's what we are going to do in
fedora-extras.

What do people want to do?  How about, "they want to use yum to download
stuff."  So, the paradigm is to support yum functionality,  as many ways
(views) as possible.

At this point Repoview provides two primary views of packages
	1. Alphabetical grouping
	2. Fuzzy typal grouping (with the possible exception of the XFCE groups)

What Repoview does should simply be ignored.

What we want to provide is clear (unfuzzy) grouping with multiple views of the
packages, depending on what the user wants to do, or how that user wants to
access, review or remove the packages.

So here are the major views:
	1. Alphabetical grouping (I want to look at all packages that start with 'a')
	2. Typal grouping (I want a small web-server)(or small web-server-accessory)
	3. Logical grouping (I want to install a suite of packages for ...)

Comments Appreciated.

Eric
--
Eric R. Meyers