Sysinfo to fedora extras

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Sun Jul 17 10:36:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:10:55 +0200. Nil Gradisnik waffled thusly:

> Forgot to attach sr.rpm file.
> Sorry

(Please don't top post!)

No need to send the RPM, just the .spec or (even better) a link to the spec
+ source / binary RPMS.

BTW, I packaged this myself today for my own repo, it's a small and quite
useful little app:

http://www.enlartenment.com/packages/fedora/4/i386/repodata/repoview/sysinfo-0-0.6-2.fc4.mf.html

http://www.enlartenment.com/packages/fedora/4/SRPMS/sysinfo-0.6-2.fc4.mf.src.rpm
(SRPM)

> On 7/17/05, Nil Gradisnik <ghaefbgtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to add my project Sysinfo 0.6 to Fedora Extras.
> > You can find more details on project page: http://sysinfo.r8.org
> >
> > I have attached the src.rpm and I build an rpm myself.
> > What do I need to do next ?

See http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewPackageProcess for an outline on
the package submission process.

I've looked over the spec and it needs some serious love before it's up to
Extras quality. At present I don't believe it will build.

- Spec filename should not refer to the version.
- No Source: line!
- Don't hardcode the Packager or Vendor.
- No BuildRequires (needed desktop-file-utils libglademm24-devel and
libgtkmm24-devel for my package)
- Group not listed in rpm's GROUPS list (I used Applications/System FWIW)
- No %configure?
- No need to CD to the build dir manually, the build will do this
automagically.
- No DESTDIR or similar in %install - the "make install" command will try
and install to the live system - this will a) prevent non-root builds and b)
pollute the system proper (if not built in a chroot jail). Use "make
DESTDIR= %{buildroot} install".
- Good idea to rm -rf %{buildroot} before doing a "make DESTDIR=%{buildroot}
install" - this will ensure no stale data exists from previous builds.
- Use the %{_foo} macros if available, in both the build process and %files.
- no %changelog
- no URL:
- Feel free to make the %description more verbose
- use %doc instead of specifying /usr/doc/sysinfo/* in %files.

Are you also aware that some of the docs are in fact symlinks to their
equivalents in the "automake-1.9" package? This should be fixed in the main
tarball.

You might want to look over
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines for ideas on what is
expected for Extras inclusion. The "rpmlint" and "fedora-rpmdevtools"
packages (part of Extras) are also invaluable.

Feel free to look over my SRPM and spec also.

> > Thanks

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"