Wording of "Previously in Core" Procedure

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 01:21:29 UTC 2005

I will be adding the exception that we had been following during the
past few months to the NewPackageProcess.  Maybe the wording will need
to be cleaned up a bit, and I am not exactly sure where to add it to the
current page.  Please reply with suggestions and questions.

"If the package has been in a previous Fedora Core stable release but it
has been subsequently removed, then it requires no review to be imported
into Fedora Extras.  Existing Extras contributors may claim ownership by
posting to fedora-extras-list with the package name in the Subject,
importing the original RH package, then proceding to make improvements
in CVS from that baseline."

I explicitly state "Existing Extras contributors" here because adoption
of an existing package written by someone else is most often never
enough of an indicator to the sponsors if that new potential contributor
truly understands packaging and has read the guidelines.  One of the
things decided upon at the FUDCON2 planning meeting was that new members
can become sponsored only after one or more of their package submissions
has been reviewed and approved.  After this point a sponsor member can
determine if it is the right thing to grant membership.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com