Core and Extras maintainers coordination

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jul 22 17:42:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 12:22 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > As you can see from the note above, FE slowly is about to be facing
> > serious problems.
>
> FE has been facing serious problems since the day it was born.  And yet,
> somehow, we limp along.
>
> So.
>
> * Spell out the problem, as you see it;
No possibility to provide updates and bug fixes, for 2 weeks.

As the OP's question indicated, there exist/seem to exist dependencies
between Core and Extras which require/could require rebuilding packages
at Extras. Not worth mentioning not being able to provide potential (I
am not aware of any) security fixes.

> * Propose a solution, if you have one.
You'd have to ask Seth.

I am quite surprised to having seen him announcing a downtime for a
weekend, but the system not having come up again since then.

I would have expected the "buildsystem" having undergone sufficient
testing to provide a "nearly smooth" transition, before somebody would
want to make such an announcement.

Now, I'd propose to set Seth and Dan (and who else might be involved) a
deadline (E.g. Monday morning). If they can bring the system up in
reasonable fashion, fine, I'll be amongst the first to congratulate,
then.

If not, I would propose to back up to the old "buildsystem" and to give
them more time to bring up the new buildsystem without being
unnecessarily pressured.

Ralf