Any tips or guidelines for creating ruby packages?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Jul 30 03:07:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 12:40 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Package it up, and I'll look it over. If we need to make packaging
> > policy changes, I'll help.
>

> first draft package that doesn't make any attempt yet to split off
> individual library bindings into seperate subpackages available at:
> http://jef.is--a-geek.com/downloads/ruby-gnome2-all/
> I've built this in mock against x86 fc4
>
> Clearly I'm going to want to split out the binary subpackages based on
> individual subdirectories of the full source tarball... tedious but
> not difficult to do.
>
> I'm more concerned about how rpm is catching the provided so files.
> There's no indication that the provides are libraries in ruby's site
> directory as compared to system lbraries. Is this going to be a
> problem?

Well, I don't think so. pygtk2 does the exact same thing:
[spot at swoop blacs]$ rpm -q pygtk2 --provides
_gtk.so
atk.so
gobject.so
pango.so
pygtk2 = 2.6.0-2

The only possible issue I could see is if something --required one of
the pygtk2 .so files explicitly... but nothing does.

I think you're in the clear.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!