Any tips or guidelines for creating ruby packages?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Jul 31 13:45:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 22:57 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/30/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm working on splitting out subpackages for each component now.
>
> Second draft of the src.rpm  which now splits out each sub-component
> from the ruby-gnome2-all tarball  as a seperate binary package.
>
> Just a few questions I have left:
> 1) not sure whether to include the previously discussed changed to
> %__find_provides or not.

Well, it seems as if there is good reason to do this.

This is how OOo does it (to get rid of the libxmlsec1 and libdb-/libdb_
provides and requires). This goes in %setup, after applying patches. You
should be able to modify the logic for ruby-gnome.

find_provides="%{__find_provides}"
echo "#!/bin/sh" > find-provides
echo "$find_provides | grep -v libxmlsec1 | grep -v libdb- | grep -v libdb_" >> find-provides
echo "exit 0" >> find-provides
chmod +x find-provides
%define __find_provides %{_builddir}/SRC680_m%{ooo2ver}/find-provides

find_requires="%{__find_requires}"
echo "#!/bin/sh" > find-requires
echo "$find_requires | grep -v libxmlsec1 | grep -v libdb- | grep -v libdb_ | grep -v \(" >> find-requires
echo "exit 0" >> find-requires
chmod +x find-requires
%define __find_requires %{_builddir}/SRC680_m%{ooo2ver}/find-requires

> 2) I'm excluding .h files... should i make one big -devel package are
> make seperate -devel subpackages that each pretty much includes just
> .h file per -devel package.

Up to you. Either one would be considered "correct".

> 3)the damn sample scripts that I'm including as the %docs  uses
> /usr/local/bin/ruby and rpm is picking that up and adding a
> requirement for /usr/loca/bin/ruby. What to do here?
> a)drop the samples from the packages
> b)patch the samples to use /usr/bin/ruby

I vote for b, patch the samples.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!