Request for review/sponsor - NEdit

Ian Pilcher pilcher at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 3 15:22:57 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
The package naming guidelines at
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines suggest to
> stick to lower case unless the upstream package uses upper case, which
> is not the case for either the tarball name or the installed binary?

Actually, that page says:

   Keep in mind to respect the wishes of the upstream maintainers. If
   they refer to their application as "ORBit", you should use "ORBit" as
   the package name, and not "orbit".

If you look at http://nedit.org (or http://NEdit.org; hostnames are
case insensitive), you'll see that the program is consistently referred
to as "NEdit".  The binary is named "nedit", but the ORBit binaries also
use lower case names.

> Also, the package has historically been known as "nedit" in earlier
> Fedora Core and Red Hat releases, so if it does get renamed then I would
> suggest Obsoleting and Providing "nedit" for a clean upgrade path.

Umm, I did that.

I don't have a strong feeling either way.  ("nedit" is certainly easier
to type.)  However, it is frustrating to try to follow the documented
rules, only to be told that they're not really the rules.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!