RPath question

Peter Lawler fedora-extras-list at six-by-nine.com.au
Sun Jun 12 21:19:47 UTC 2005

Peter Lawler wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to build rosegarden. One of it's dependencies is LADCCA. (For
> references, check the CCRMA pages).
>
> The thing is, fluidsynth keeps complaining about rpath problems.
>
> + /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot
> ERROR: file '/usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1.1.0' contains a standard rpath
> '/usr/lib' in [/usr/lib]
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.83350 (%install)
>
> That's all fine. So, I disable rpaths in the configure part of the
> .spec. It still doesn't work, However, I notice the following durnig the
> build (whether I disable it or not):
>
> checking LADCCA_LIBS... -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -lladcca -luuid -ljack
> -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread
>
> So, I tried building LADCCA again, but with it having --disable-rpath in
> it's spec. Still no juice.
>
> If someone can give me pointers, tips, etc., I'd be eternally grateful
> (not that I'm not usually... but...)
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.

After several hours of wondering what the hell I'm meant to be doing, in
the laddca-1.0-pc.in file I discovered and removed the -Wl, --rpath -Wl,
and created a patch for the same. I also sprinkled --disable-rpath
around on every .spec file I was also compiling. Needless to say,
whether this was the correct approach or not, I managed to get some
noises out of Rosegarden last night.

This still isn't 'clean', as I'm relying on a 3rd party's jack ('lo
Ivazquez). However I've just picked up a later jack, and am about to try
that out too.

Could someone advise as to whether just removing those linker options
should be enough? I'm rather pleased I managed to get things to build,
but am very dubious about considering them for review by -extras as I
have no bloody idea what nasty side-effects might hit me :)

Regards,

Pete.