Changes to GCC in development

The package cln was built on development on May 28. It still builds on FC4, but now fails on development. I'm getting errors that begin with something like this:

../include/cln/string.h:30: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cl_string' with no type
../include/cln/string.h:30: error: 'cl_string' is neither function nor member function; cannot be declared friend
../include/cln/string.h:30: error: expected ';' before 'operator'

It appears gcc-4.0.0-11 was released on June 6. Does anyone know whether this release is now enforcing some rules that were not enforced before? Can strict checking be turned off with compiler flags? I don't know C++ well enough to understand exactly what's going wrong here.

-Quentin