Apt not working on new Fedora core 4?

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 16 13:57:22 UTC 2005

JA> Hi it looks like the apt mirrors for fedora core 4 is not made
JA> yet.  In the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mirror-select.list

JA> has anyone gotten apt to work on the new fedora core 4?

AL> According to Warren's post on this thread:

AL> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=56707

AL> It appears that apt-get is now deprecated, and given that he was
AL> the one actually running the apt repository, I'm guessing that
AL> it's unlikely to start again.  It would have been nice, however if
AL> there was some official announcement of that the fact that apt was
AL> not be supported for >FC4 to give people time to transition to the
AL> new yum repository, rather than have it simply not appear.

Correction, it appears that:

 http://www.fedora.us/

*does* make an official announcement regarding the discontinued
support for apt, I hadn't checked that page in a while, I usually skip
directly to http://download.fedora.us/

[...]

AL> i.e. Dag and freshrpms have it for the base FC4 os and FC4
AL> updates, but not Fedora Extras 4.

Another correction: it appears that freshrpms does now offer Extras
with apt enabled repositories (assuming the metadata has been
recreated).  I appears that the base distro, updates and extras are
now at:

http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/i386/

You should be able to manually create /etc/apt/sources.list or add a
freshrpms.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with the appropriate
information.

Disclaimer: I have not tested this myself.

Alex