Suggestion: pylint

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Fri Jun 17 15:35:53 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 21:33, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On 6/17/05, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> >   1) This is just about disk space; the idea is that shipping .pyo
> >      files don't give you an appreciable startup speed win so we
> >      should we shouldn't package them
> >
> >   2) That %ghost-ing .pyo files is more trouble than its worth
> >
> >         Thoughts?
>
> I would support forgetting all about .pyo files.

You can't.  When you run python programs as root that happen to use
#!/usr/bin/python -O at the top of the script, it will poop .pyo all
over your site-packages/ which will not be removed if you don't %ghost.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time.  Because anyone that really
wants to save that kind of disk space can just run "find -name '*.pyo'
| xargs rm".

There's probably a better way to do this but I found out that my whole
system uses about 57M in fs blocks for pyo:

[jeff at kubik lib]$ locate pyo | grep pyo$ |xargs ls -s --block-size=1 |
awk '{ printf $1 " + "  }' >/tmp/sizes.txt
[jeff at kubik lib]$ vi /tmp/sizes.txt      # get rid of the last + sign
[jeff at kubik lib]$ cat /tmp/sizes.txt |bc
57253888

That's with python 1.5.2, 2.2.3, 2.3.5, and 2.4.1 installed with a bunch
of addon packages and other redhat related progs sitting in /usr/share.

Not worth it...

Plus, there's the LFS implication of writing during run-time into /usr.
(Maybe there's an SElinux issue, but python usually just fails silently
and continues on without a problem if /usr is readonly..)

--
-jeff