Re: JPackage and FC/FE

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 14:39 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Personally, I'm happily mixing them, and letting the JPackage ones
> override FC wherever it happens.  I haven't noticed any problems, but
> then again, I haven't used Java stuff too much lately, and FC4 is less
> than week old ATM...

I'd guess that the main problem with doing this is that if you're using
gcj as your Java system you'll end up with the jpackage-updated packages
being run with gij instead of getting natively-compiled packages. That's
likely to be horribly slow...

On the other hand, I guess that most people who want the jpackage
packages on their systems will likely be using the Sun (or other
proprietary) JRE by default at the moment so perhaps this isn't that
much of an issue.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj stanford edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University