Howto setup a new hard disk?

I want to add a new disk (external usb) to an existing FC3 system and use it
to upgrade to FC4.  I like the autopartioning that anaconda does, setting
up lvm.  I want to partition the drive in the same manner, but don't want
to have to use lvm manually to do it.  My plan is to partition the drive
for lvm, then copy files from the existing FC3 drive onto it, edit fstab to
use the new drive, and then run the FC4 update.