Debug help on x86_64

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Jun 22 18:09:35 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:46 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:
>

>>Earlier, I wrote:
>>

>>>I got an error trying to build octave-forge on x86_64 (the other archs
>>>worked fine), and not having access to the necessary hardware, I'm not
>>>sure how to debug it. It happens when configure is looking for
>>>mkoctfile, a script in octave-devel that compiles dynamically loadable
>>>functions for octave. The error I get is:
>>>
>>>checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
>>>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -loctinterp
>>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>configure: error: Could not run mkoctfile
>>>error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.65687 (%build)
>>>
>>>So, it seems that mkoctfile is looking for libraries in the wrong place
>>>on x86_64. This may be something I need to correct in octave itself, but
>>>I'm not sure. Ideas?
>>>
>>>-Quentin
>>>

>>OK, it looks like the problem is that mkoctfile is looking in /usr/lib
>>instead of /usr/lib64. I think this is fixed by adding
>>--libdir=%{_libdir} to the configure command.
>>

>If this works, the configure script is broken.
>
>--libdir supposed to be the directory to install libraries into.
>It is by *no means* related to where to search for libraries.

In this particular case, anything specified by the --libdir option when
configuring octave eventually finds its way into some flags that are
used in the mkoctfile script, so it does end up having an indirect
effect on where mkoctfile is looking for its libraries. So, yes, this is
probably not a correct thing for configure to do. If I were to send a
fix upstream, how would you recommend determining what the equivalent of
%{_libdir} is in a generic way?

-Quentin