Downgrading to FC4

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Jun 23 10:05:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 00:12 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> The fact that you can, sort of, downgrade doesn't make it a good idea.
>> Rpm's don't support downgrade reliably, while it works most of the time ok
>> it might just as well not work leaving you with strange problems and
>> quirks.
>
> And the fact that RPMs support upgrades doesn't mean that they always
> work without strange problems. For example:
> - openssl-0.9.7f-4 caused my postfix to break because the CA was moved
>  to /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> - pam-0.79-8 made me unable to login because of "set_loginuid failed
>  opening loginuid"
>
> Still we all do upgrades, don't we?

Bugs happen. For upgrades people at least *try* to make things work, but
nobody even looks at getting downgrading right. There's a big difference
there...

> PS: It would be a very nice feature if yum/rpm could generate a
> differential changelog when doing an upgrade. E.g. generate a file and
> write the name of each package being updated followed by the changelog
> entries between the old and new version.

There's a plugin in yum-utils cvs which can do something like that, see
below. Having it log them to a file or whatever would be quite trivial.
OTOH you need yum 2.3.3 or newer for the plugin to work.

[root at localhost pmatilai]# yum --changelog update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
[....]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
   Updating  : hwdata                       ######################### [1/2]
   Cleanup   : hwdata                       ######################### [2/2]

Changes in updated packages:
hwdata - 0.158.1-1.noarch
* Thu Jun 23 01:00:00 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> -
0.158.1-1
- add JVC CD-ROM (#160907, <richard at rsk.demon.co.uk>)
- add hisax stuff to blacklist (#154799, #159068)

* Tue May 17 01:00:00 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> - 0.158-1
- add a orinoco card (#157482)

* Fri May  6 01:00:00 2005 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 0.157-1
- add 20" Apple Cinema Display

* Mon Apr 11 01:00:00 2005 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> 0.156-1
- Update SiS entries in Cards/pcitable to match what Xorg X11 6.8.2
supports

* Thu Mar 31 01:00:00 2005 Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> 0.155-1
- Add a boatload of BenQ, Acer, Sony, NEC, Mitsubishi, and Dell monitors

Updated: hwdata.noarch 0:0.158.1-1
Complete!