Review requested: slmodemd

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Tue Jun 28 13:22:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

Nowadays laptops do come with internal modems, which are mostly some kind
of softmodem where most of the work is done in software. Linux support for
these modems was inexistant in the past and has recently become somewhat
better. That is, if one can consider closed source kernel modules which
are compiled with a lot of GPL glue better.

However, for devices such as the "Intel Corporation
82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)",
there exists a completely open source way of getting the modem to work:

The kernel contains an alsa driver, which can be used to control the
modem. All that is then needed is a user space daemon which sets up the
tty-Device.

slmodemd is this user space program.

>From the %description:
This package contains the userspace application to control modem chipsets
such as the Intel ICH chipset, which is used in most of todays laptops.

After starting the slmodem daemon on a supported system, /dev/ttySL0 can
beused to dial out with the internal softmodem.

I'd be glad if someone could review the package for me, after which I'll
commit it to cvs.

SPEC: http://home.bawue.de/~ixs/slmodem/slmodem.spec
SRPM: http://home.bawue.de/~ixs/slmodem/slmodem-alsa-2.9.9d-1.src.rpm

thx,