[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: New package: icmpdn



On 06/28/2005 02:46 PM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
Hi!

I've written a suite of programs, including an glibc nameswitch module,
to implement RFC 1788 (which describes the ICMP requests for fetching
FQDNs) in Linux.

Getting the FQDN from a host itself is very useful when communicating
with networks that cannot get a DNS delegation for reverse lookups (such
as ADSL/Cable subscribers, possibly with a 6to4 IPv6 tunnel). It's the
only known way to make Kerberos work over these networks, without some
serious hoop jumping with BIND.

More info is available on <http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/icmp-dn/>.

Personally, I don't know much about RPMs and how to build them, but I
got a spec file that seems to be working contributed from a guy named
Oron Peled. Therefore, the spec file and SRPM (as built on a FC2 system,
if it matters) are available here:

<http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/icmp-dn/icmpdn.spec>
<http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/icmp-dn/icmpdn-0.3-1.src.rpm>

I'd very much like to see this included in Extras.

Thanks for your time!

The first look at it, the following things I see:

* Remove Vendor Tag

* I'm not sure if the license is OK this way...

* Source is better written as Source0 and is missing the full URI to the tarball

* Strange characters show up in %description: – (after icmpdnd, idnlookup, libnss_icmp.so.2) in firefox; In vim: â~ ~S

* In %build section, you should use %configure - it should set everything correctly

* make is better written as: make %{?_smp_mflags}

* In %install section do only use rm -rf "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" (same for the %clean section)

* %post and %postun should run ldconfig
  And therefor PreReq: /sbin/ldconfig

* Missing %changelog section

* In %files section icmpdnd is missing %attr to be sure the files are executable

* In %files section, init.d/ipcmpdnd is missing %config

* In %files section use %{_libdir} instead of /lib/, since those libs will be installed in %{_libdir} (/usr/lib), if you use %configure and this is the correct place for 'em.

* In %install do:

   mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/init.d
   install -m755 admin/icmpdnd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/init.d

  instead. At least I would do so...

* Remove INSTALL from %doc, as this is not of interesst for end-users.
* Remove NEWS from %doc, as it is EMTPY
* README also contains the above mentioned strange characters...

OK:
* After I did this, it compiles as normal user (I guess it did before as well)
* Installs fine
* Initscript looks fine
* Uninstalls fine


Please, might someone else have a look at it - it might be possible, that I didn't see everything...

Best,
 Oliver


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]