freshrpms/rpmforge

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Mar 2 08:36:47 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
>>Hmmm... "interesting quality"? I never got any problem reports from you
>>Hans, I'd remember ;-) Currently, freshrpms plays well with Fedora Extras,
>>and the only bug that existed was my fault, having merged a version of
>>liboil in Extras that was too recent for the one I had held back in
>>freshrpms because of my swfdec build (Extras has an older one), but was
>>fixed.
>>

> I have to agree with Matthias. I've never had any problems playing with
> freshrpms packages and fedora core or extras.

Last time I tried non RH rpms (from freshrpms and others) was a long
time ago I think in the RH 7.x days, they were horrible most specfiles
just did a make, make install and then drop everything in the rpm, all
files in /usr/local were quite normal for example. This might be a long
time ago but this has made me wary of non RH rpms, fedora.us was a very
welcome change for me.

I think it would be great to have freshrpms/rpmforge as a superset of fc
+ extras + livna, I would like in this case for freshrpms to only have
new packages and not replace existing ones, or at least provide the
option to select a subset of all the packages containing only packages
not in fc + extras + livna, just like fedora.us had stable and testing.

Anyways I wonder now that there is an "official" fedora extras if and
how rpmforge is trying to cooparate / coordinate with extras to avoid
duplicate work.

If rpmforge/freshrpms is willing to host for example a vice rpm that
would be great and I might be willing to create and maintain some other
emulator rpms for freshrpms too, but first I must feel / be okay with
freshrpms, it would be realy hypocrit to not be enthousiastic, yet still
contribute because I'm enthousiastic about emulators.

I'm not saying rpmforge should change, maybe I should, but some more
coorparatiob between the extras and rpmforge might be nice.

Regards,

Hans