"make tag"?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 15:59:15 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm just getting the feel for Extras' CVS (now that my CVS account was
fixed -- thanks guys) and I'm wondering about why we don't have "make
tag" in Makefile.common. Granted, I may be assuming wrong things coming
from Red Hat's internal build system but as I couldn't find any docs on
that I'm asking here:

- Are we packagers supposed to tag the files in CVS for a specific
version-release? If yes, could we please have "make tag" which pulls
that info from the spec file?
- Or is this supposed to be done by whoever builds the package when it
is being built?

I'd say the latter is undesirable because this would mean that 1)
packaging "development" is stalled until the package is built and 2)
inadvertent commits by the packager or anybody else in the meantime will
get the wrong thing built.

Comments?
Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com