Fedora Extras Development Package Report

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Mar 24 14:46:49 UTC 2005

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:17 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

>>I was talking about
>>BuildRequires: libGL.so.1 libGLU.so.1 XFree86-devel

>>which, IMO of course, works and certainly isn't broken.

> ... and is a workaround. Build requirements should IMO only be on
> the .so files or their corresponding packages which in turn should
> require the corresponding base packages without which they won't work
> properly.

OK, it's a workaround, but a reasonable and working one.  IMO, the gains
for it's simplicity and backward compatibilty (some of us still *do*
care about that you know) still make it the best choice here.

Realize also that your suggested solution is only a workaround too,
since it doesn't refer-to/use .so files or their corresponding packages
  either (they're actually in xorg-x11-devel).

What you've *really* been hinting at with "... which in turn should
require their corresponding base packages" commment is broken deps in
xorg-x11-devel in that it should
Requires: xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL and ...-libGLU
so I suggest you try convincing Mike Harris instead (and good luck with
that... (-:)

-- Rex