make tag and %{?dist}

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 02:28:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 22:00 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 20:50 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > So, is it valid to "hardcode" %{dist} as above?  If so, what's the point
> > of even using %{?dist}, since you could just hard code the .fc4 into the
> > Release field?
> >
> > Hopefully I'm just confused.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> You need the "scary macro voodoo" that the wiki article talks about if
> you want to do it on your machine.

Yeah, but that "scary macro voodoo" is something I want to avoid, and it
doesn't really solve the problem.  That would just define %{dist} to
whatever version of the distro the user had installed at the time.

Here is more of what I was thinking:

Perhaps the make targets in CVS could define %{dist} for the user based
on what branch the command is being run.  For example, if you run 'make
i386' in the devel branch %{dist} gets defined to ".fc4" automatically.
Similarly, if you run it in the FC-3 branch, it gets defined to ".fc3".

That would allow packagers to build RPMs and get the benefits of %{dist}
without having to hardcode it for each spec file in each CVS branch.  It
would also solve my current problem, since 'make tag' would do the Right
Thing when it came to the %{dist} macro.

In an IRC conversation, Ignacio suggested a data file in the common
subdir that could have CVS branch -> dist tag mappings.  This seems
fairly simple to me.  Thoughts?

josh