make tag and %{?dist}

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 11:05:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 10:24 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:51:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > For the actual RPM build, on the actual Red Hat build systems, this is
> > how it would be/is done.  That is where the "scary macro voodoo" that
> > Ignacio mentioned in another thread comes into play.
>
> Revisiting the dist-tag related thread on fedora-packaging list would
> make sense.  As long as I cannot store a single src.rpm revision in a
> single branch and build this single src.rpm for multiple target
> distributions, the system is flawed. It is more convenient to just
> hardcode .fc4, .fc3 and friends in the spec file, because we duplicate
> packages in multiple branch directories.

Sorry, I don't follow that list at the moment.  I'll have to dig around
in the archives.

As for hardcoding being convenient, I disagree.  I think it's a pain.  I
do not see why everyone should have to hardcode that when it could be
done by the make targets.

> > But, the process to get a package actually built on the Red Hat build
> > systems from Fedora Extras CVS
>
> There is no such build system. Seth Vidal has been building packages with
> the help of a few scripts and later a yum-ified mach, and he's working on
> creating a tag-based automated build system, too. So far, tags have not
> been necessary for any builds. But tags are useful, and hence they are
> mentioned in the Hints section. Whether contributors revisit the Wiki
> pages occasionally, I don't know.

Are you sure tags aren't currently needed?  Take a look at the tobuild
file.  I certainly see tags listed there...  And if they aren't needed,
how does the build system (aka Seth) know what to build?

josh