make tag and %{?dist}

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed May 4 14:20:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 04:01:26PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Q: Can't I just hardcode the .fc3 into the Release?
> > A: No.
> An increasing number of packages do this already. There is
> no difference between hardcoding %dist or using a constant instead.

In fact, I think using a constant is *better*. That way, the %dist macro can
be used to indicate "this should build on any currently-supported release"
and hard-coded values imply "there's some per-distro-release differences in
this spec file".

And then, ideally, %dist is actually defined using the "voodoo" in the
system-wide RPM macros -- although it's really not that much voodoo,
especialyl compared to some of the other standard RPM macros (like the
debuginfo package stuff!).