Review request: syslog-ng (syslog replacement daemon)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat May 7 14:48:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 01:29 +0100, José Pedro Oliveira wrote:
> Notes:
>   * Stops the syslog daemon during installation

This definitely seems non-ideal.  You don't want to be stopping a
different service when you install yourself.  The fact that you can't
run both of them at once just means you have to do a little bit of
service configuration to get the one you want running after you install
it.  This is no different than installing, eg, an http daemon other than
httpd.

>   * Changes a file from another package
>     (/etc/logrotate.d/syslog from the sysklogd rpm)

Better to figure out how to generalize this.  See my later mail.

>   * currently it doesn't change the use_syslogng SELinux boolean

I don't see any other packages doing anything like this at the moment,
and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.[1]  Looking at what the
boolean allows, I think that some of them at least are valid in the case
of sysklogd where you're using a remote syslog server.  cc'ing Dan to
see if he has an opinion here.

Jeremy

[1] I still maintain that policy for a package should be maintained with
and shipped in the package.  That would make this a much easier
question :-)  Unfortunately, policy tools aren't there yet although I'm
hopeful about progress in this area over time.