Fedora Extras Development Build Report

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun May 8 09:10:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 06:45 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Are you aware about how much effort had been required to get packages
> compiled on x86_64, when x86_64 was new? It took years.

It'll never be that difficult again. We already have something 64-bit
and something big-endian.

> Adding any new architecture will impose a similar footprint and will, if
> a policy of "one arch blocks all" is implemented, this policy will block
> packages on archs not being affected by the "blocking bug on one arch".

That result wouldn't be acceptable; you're right. But neither is it what
I'm suggesting.

Of _course_ we should be able to drop a problematic architecture from
the build to allow new packages to get built -- I'm suggesting that it
needs to be done _deliberately_ by use of ExcludeArch, rather than
merely by acting on spurious build failures.

It needs to be a conscious decision on the part of the package
maintainer, not random happenstance.

--
dwmw2