Review Request: pptp

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 10 11:43:56 UTC 2005

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote :
>

>>Spec file:
>>http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/pptp/pptp.spec
>

> Nice and clean spec file :-)
>

>>SRPM:
>>http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/pptp/pptp-1.6.0-2.fc3.src.rpm
>

> Rebuilds fine for me, and I can't see any obvious problems. I'm unable to
> fully test the functionalities, but am willing to approve the package for
> an initial import nevertheless.
>
> Looking at the homepage and install instructions that :
> 1) Once again there is a kernel module that could be added...

Matt Domsch at Dell is working on getting the ppp_mppe module included
in the upstream kernel. It's a long process though. A possible problem
with providing a separate package for this module is that it requires
patching (and hence replacing) the existing ppp_generic module. I don't
know what the best way of doing that is. My intention was to wait for
the module to appear upstream.

> 2) There are some nice config tools (in php-gtk!?) which could also
>    be packaged :-)

I already do the packages on the website there, and could import those
in extras. However, as far as I know, php-gtk currently requires PHP4
(compiled with pcntl support, which is not included in FC3). It really
would be better if it could be ported to something a bit more modern
like PyGTK. Unfortunately that's beyond my abilities.

Paul.