install versus cp -a in %install

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu May 12 17:31:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:14:00 +0200, Christian Jodar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Would it be asked too much that you enter your real name in your
> > messages? (presumably it's the one from whois c-sait.net)
>
> Did you mean you want it into From field?

Yes.

> I changed that. But there
> was no need to do a whois as it was in the title of my previous mail
> (the one I linked in my message).

No time to follow every link.

> > Use what works for you.
>
> I thought the goal of Fedora Extras was to provide quality packages
> that follow some rules (that's why there are some packaging guidelines).
> So for me *Use what works for everybody* would be better. And as I have
> a little experience in this domain, I wanted to have some suggestions
> from more experienced people.

You asked specifically about "cp vs. install", I posted a comment about
that. It was not a comment about packaging in general. For some things
there are guidelines, for other things there are policies.

> > Use what makes sense.
>
> I am not sure to understand what you meant there.

Example: if "cp -a source-dir destination-dir" looks like a command
that makes sense, why look for a different solution with which you
may need to copy files manually?

> But I have a more important question: Why did you use such a condescending
> tone?

That's a matter of opinion. I don't think I did.

--
Fedora Core release 3.91 (Pre-FC4) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1290_FC4
loadavg: 1.32 1.11 1.09