Review Request: pptp

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon May 16 10:06:00 UTC 2005

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Regarding patents, I don't believe that the ppp_mppe module has any patent
>>issues, but the alternative ppp_mppe_mppc module does.
>>See:
>>http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#running_pppd_after_connection
>

> Okay, looks like encryption's fine, but compression is patented?

FWIW, Andrew Morton has recently included the MPPE module in his -mm
tree
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=pptpclient-devel&m=111605104820043&w=2).
Hopefully this is a major step in getting the module included upstream.

>>>Packaging of pptpconfig to go with this would be useful too
>>
>>Well, yes, but that opens another can of worms as I mentioned earlier:
>>https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00394.html
>>
>>The PHP4 in FC3 doesn't include the pcntl module, and FC4 ships with PHP5,
>>which I believe (I haven't tried it) is incompatible with php-gtk.
>

> Yeah, I'd forgotten they're in php-gtk. I think the php-gtk plan is to
> skip over 5.0 and only support PHP5.1+?

I'm about to make a proposal on pptpconfig but I'll do it in a separate
thread because it'll involve an new PHP package.

Paul.