New package: cogito

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Wed May 18 16:58:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 11:30:28AM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 12:06 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > Hello all-
> >
> > Package Name: cogito
>
> On May 3, Chris Wright posted a cogito package for review, which Dave
> Jones suggested that it was too early, that it should "sit things out a
> bit longer before its added, even to extras, until its got a few more
> battle-scars."
>
> Thread here:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00039.html
>
> You guys should all work together on this, since there seems to be a lot
> of people interested in this code, and decide when its ready for review.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~spot

I just read the thread, and I understand Daves point, but given that there is
clearly interest in having this pre-packaged (for the obvious reason that it
makes working with upstream that much easier), I think that may outweigh the
concern that people would begin to rely on it for other projects prematurely.
Perhaps it would be sufficient to add a patch to the cg-init source such that it
placed a disclaimer banner up on the console whenever a new repository was
created, warning the user of the potential for future incompatibilities?

That would give us the convienience that I'm sure we're all looking for, and
ward off the people who don't understand quite how young cogito/git are.

Regards
Neil