Addling in linux-wlan-ng to extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon May 23 16:09:42 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 23.05.2005, 16:18 +0100 schrieb Paul Johnson:

> From what I can see, there shouldn't be a problem adding linux-wlan-ng
> into extras and it would certainly be useful. The only problem I can see
> is that due to the configuration options, plx, usb, pcmcia and pci
> builds are able to be made (or indeed, any combination of them) which
> may mean different rpms for each driver and the configuration script may
> be problematic.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

IMHO we should not provide kernel modules like this in Fedora Extras at
all. Fedora Core kernel/davej rejects drivers like this afaik with "get
it applied upstream" -- imho in 99% of the cases that's correct. So imho
we should not undermine this decision.

On the other hand: People need this drivers. So we should do our best to
prepare them so they can install them easily.

Maybe livna would be a better place for this type of drivers, even if
they are "free". ndiswrapper, ipw2[12]00-firmware (and maybe madwifi)
should hit it soon also so all these wlan-stuff would be in one place.

Just my 2 cent