rpms/git-core/devel .cvsignore, 1.10, 1.11 git-core.spec, 1.9, 1.10 sources, 1.10, 1.11

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Nov 1 07:03:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 22:45 -0800, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 14:35 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> > > Chris Wright wrote:

> > Nevertheless, you still will want:
> > BuildRequires: zlib-devel >= 1.2
> >
> > Then, the package won't build on distros with older zlibs and will
> > prevent those people building against insufficient libz's to trip over
> > this issue, later (linking should fail).
>
> Building with zlib < 1.2 is handled by the package (doesn't use the new
> *Bound functions), it's build on zlib 1.2, install on zlib 1.1 that fails,
> because zlib didn't change soname.

You are referring to source-level configuration - I am referring to
packaging. These are two different and only marginally related topics.

We want reproducible rpms, always providing the same package when
building it on FC/FE-based systems, whether or not a user is using a
buildsystem, is rebuilding an rpm as root or as ordinary user.

Here, the "BR: libz >= 1.2" is a "necessary condition" (in the
mathematical sense) to force users (or the buildsystem) to use a
sufficient zlib. Whether or not the sources support "graceful degrating"
to other internal underneath, isn't of any importance.

Ralf