autoconf/automake in BuildRequires

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 1 12:14:44 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 01.11.2005, 14:54 +0300 schrieb Dmitry Butskoy:

> > There is no need to include the following packages or their
> > dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often.
> > These packages are considered the minimum build environment.
> >
> libtool is not present in this list, therefore it must be specified in
> the BuildRequires tag. OTOH it looks as some basic thing... May be
> libtool should be included in the exception list too?

For the same reason why automake and autoconf should not be used in
specfiles. The external libtool is normally not needed.

And if that's not enough: Download and untar
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/webfiles/cvs-extras-devel-20051101.tar.gz

then run:
$ cd devel
$ ls | wc -l
1188
$ grep -i '^BuildRequires.*libtool ' */*.spec | wc -l
10

Okay, 10 out of 1188 extras packages need libtool (those ten probably
also need auto{make,conf}. They INHO should not to that and use patches
instead. But that's another discussion we had yesterday already.

So please, can you tell me now why it should be in the exception list?

CU
Thorsten "this thread is annoying" Leemhuis