Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 00:39:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 16:22 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > After the you could call apt to install a package and as far as I
> > remember the overhead was small i opposite of yum.
>
> On any given consecutive run of yum the overhead should be:
> 1. contact hosts and retrieve repomd.xml
> 2. if the repomd.xml is unchanged, open the sqlite files
> 3. if the repomd.xml is updated, then update the metadata.
> but that's it. In most of the cases it should just go directly to the
> sqlite files.
>
> Are you seeing a problem with gathering the repomd.xml files?

The biggest "problem" here is with the default setup of using the mirror
list, mirrors are often not in sync enough that you download metadata
often.  One of the lower priority things for pup is making it easier to
select the "best" mirror for a user instead of always using the mirror
lists.

For mock users, you almost certainly want to do this, though and I'm not
sure how to really make it easier/more obvious

Jeremy