Sugg: Improve for mock (caching)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Nov 4 09:10:21 UTC 2005

katzj at redhat.com (Jeremy Katz) writes:

>> Local tests at that time showed, that the initial buildroot can be
>> created in 20 seconds when a tmpfs will be used instead of a real
>> disk with ext3.
>
> I wish we had the RAM to do all builds on tmpfs or ramfs.  Alas, not
> really practical at this point

I do not see a problem with this. You can add e.g. 20GB swap and assign
a 10GB tmpfs to each builder.

The real build will read only a very limited part of the environment (I
guess <50 MB) and usually, the build process does not access the generated
data very often. Because swap operations are much more efficient than ext3
filesystem operations, this would speedup the build also.

Enrico