static libraries' policy

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 8 15:14:01 UTC 2005

Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> During the review processes I've noticed that reviewers very differently
> concern to presence of the static libraries in the devel packages. Some
> of them force me to get rid of it, but some say nothing about it at all.
>

> I've looked in the CVS code for some statistics:
>
> Extras:  there are 235 packages which have "*-devel", 149 have static
> libs, 86 not have.
> Core: there are 364 "devel" packages, 211 with static libs, 153 without.
>
> Extras: 149/235 -- 63% have static libs
> Core: 211/364 -- 58% have static libs
>

> It seems that the recommendation to avoid the including of static
> libraries into devel package does not work properly.
>
> Is it some kind of liberalism or some kind of anarchy?...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines

Exclusion of Static Libraries

Packages including libraries should exclude static libs as far as
possible (eg by configuring with --disable-static). Static libraries
should only be included in exceptional circumstances. Also applications
linking against libraries should as far as possible link against shared
libraries not static versions.

Paul.