Replies to cvs-commits on fedora-extras-commits-list at redhat.com to this list from now on

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 04:17:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 22:05 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-14-11 at 03:54 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > In other words, fedora-extras-commits-list has been converted to a
> > read-only list.
> >
> > Not necessarily a helpful (IMO a false) decision, because it means to
> > further cripple FE's already poor QA.
>
> With the traffic on that list, any message that isn't CVS commit will
> easily get overlooked, so any discussions about commits will be far more
> visible on the main list, than in the overall commit dump. I'd say it
> does the opposite and improves the chances that things will get noticed.
> I don't see what makes you say that it'll "further cripple" the QA.

Quite simple:

If all comments would go to fedora-commit-list only, subscribing to
fedora-commits-list would be mandatory to maintainers, and thereby would
force them to read other maintainers' commits, too == QA.

Redirecting comments to fedora-extras-list rsp. making
fedora-commits-list read-only removes all pressure from maintainers to
read fedora-commits-list and thereby pushes fedora-commits-list into
insignificance.

=> less eyes, less QA

All in all, a truely bad move, of whom ever is responsible for this
decision.

Ralf