static libraries' policy

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:14:00 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Not including static libraries in Fedora won't make Fedora any more
> secure,

Many (including me) disagree with this assertion.

> If the goal is to cut down on installed base, bigger hard drives are

No (I don't think so at least)

> If the goal is to cut down on bandwidth for network and yum installs,
> that is a worthy goal imho - and could be accomplished by a -static

Agreed.  -static would also (but annoyingly painfully) help the libtool
.la bloat too, as folks could add
BuildConflicts: foo-static

Simply omitting the static libs (and associated libtool archives) is
easier. (-:

> package, so that they are only installed when specifically requested by
> the end user.

A goal also is to reduce the total package size to minimize # of
required CD's.  Eliminating static libs would help achieve that goal.

-- Rex