More info: Need help, x86_64 build fails on buildsys while make mockbuild on my x86_64 works fine.

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Nov 15 17:02:57 UTC 2005

[Sorry for breaking the thread, too fast Ctrl-D]

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:39 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > He all,
> >
> > The subject pretty much says it all, for the logs see:
> > http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/868-directfb-0.9.24-1.fc5/

> So, I rebuilt directfb with a patch to remove the custom CFLAGS that the
> directfb configure/configure.in adds (-O3 -ffast-math -pipe) and the
> build went through, not sure if that's the cause of the error.  However,
> if you get gcc segfaults, the first thing you should do is to back down
> the optimization levels.  And seriously, if a package is overriding the
> RPM_OPT_FLAGS, then you need to patch it to _not_ do that.  -O2 is
> really the highest optimization people should need use.

In this case, the change was:

    -CFLAGS="-O3 -ffast-math -pipe $CFLAGS"
    +CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

$CFLAGS at that point probably contains $RPM_OPT_FLAGS which has -O2;
according to "man gcc", -O* can be specified multiple times and the last
one is the effective one, so the original/unpatched configure was ok in
this respect, ie. resulted in -O2 being actually used.

$RPM_OPT_FLAGS also already contains -pipe, so the only effect of the
change above was that -ffast-math was removed.